Sierra's View: HorseTail Falls // Utah Hiking

BlogHer Header

Friday, June 12, 2015

HorseTail Falls // Utah Hiking

As I stated yesterday, I'm sort of on a hiking kick this summer. I have realized that Utah has all of these amazing places to hike and now that I have a dog, I feel like I have a super companion…who loves it!!  I absolutely love being outside in nature. I love it!! There is something so refreshing and rejuvenating about it!

HorseTail Falls starts at Dry Creek Trailhead in Alpine, Utah. It is a 6 mile round trip hike, 3 miles up to the waterfall and back. You have the option of going further past the waterfall. It is a STUNNING, very peaceful hike. You start at 6,000 feet elevation and the waterfall is at 8,000 feet elevation, so be sure to be ready to go UP! In other words, BRING LOTS OF WATER!!!!

This is the beginning of the hike at Dry Creek Trailhead. So beautiful! I just wanted to stop and take pictures the whole time (and catch my breath! Ha).
The first mile of the hike does not have any shade or tall trees. You will see rocks like these the entire way up. As you can see from the picture, look at how high up this is (and this is only about 3/4 a mile up!). It is a gorgeous view.
About a mile in, you get to these trees. It felt a lot like Oregon to me! (which I love, obviously). 
This hike is labeled as "medium" hardness, but if you are as out of shape as I am, it definitely should be labeled "hard". Ha! I seriously thought I was going to die. What is complicated about this hike is the fact that the whole 3 miles up to the waterfall is straight uphill. I mean, literally, just uphill the entire time. It may not seem like much to others, but I made it to the waterfall and I felt so proud of myself!!! Baby steps, people. As you can kind of tell from this photo, it is going upwards..that is how the entire 3 miles up is. 


Once you get to a little grassy field that looks like this, you will know that you are about halfway! 
It is the most heavenly little field!!!! It is surrounded by trees. I wanted to lay in it and read all day. 



Look at that. Absolutely gorgeous! You can go closer to the waterfall if you want, I just loved the entire landscape of the trees, mountains, and waterfall! 

I am exhausted and Saylor loved it. Haha! 


Other Hikes: Summit Trailhead American Fork Canyon, Utah Hike 

 Isn't nature the best?

3 comments:

  1. This place looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hiking posts! I've lived in Utah my whole life and I have never done this hike. It's now on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so beautiful!! summer is the perfect time to fall back in love with hiking <3

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!