Sierra's View: Goodbyes & Hellos

BlogHer Header

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Goodbyes & Hellos

I know that it is not quite fall. But, as many of you know, I am a 6th grade teacher so my "summer" has, in a way, come to an end. The mornings are starting to cool down here in Utah, with a little frost on the car windows as I step out to leave early for work. The beginning of the school year is sort a new beginning for me.


Goodbye summer, hello back to school. 

Goodbye free time to work on this blog. 
Hello to 50 hour work weeks as a teacher. 

Goodbye to actually seeing friends and family. 
Hello my silly, fun, creative, intelligent 11 and 12 year olds. 

Goodbye being tan. 
Hello pale (er, fair) skin. 

Goodbye daydreaming in a field up in the beautiful Alpine mountains (see picture above) 
Hello to leaves starting to fall off the trees and colder air. 

Goodbye to spending hours and hours with Saylor puppy.  
Hello to watching her freak out after a long day of work when I walk in the day. 

Goodbye to fun traveling and awesome adventures. 
Hello to teaching and loving my students. 

Goodbye to naps in the sunshine.
Hello to naps in my bed :) 

Goodbye to avoiding church because of traveling.
Hello to a new calling: Mia maid advisor. 

Goodbye to long HOT summer hikes,
Hello to perfect, crisp air to walk right now! 

Goodbye to socializing with people my own age. 
Hello to pretty much socializing with 11/12 year old students all day and 14/15 girls on weekends :) 

Goodbye to long phone calls while driving.
Hello to quick check-ins. 

Goodbye evenings.
Hello to co-ed softball, choir, my calling and other extra curricular activities!

Goodbye to my big 1200 square foot apartment.
Hello to cuddling up in our teeny apartment now that we love :) 

Goodbye summer baseball,
Hello Football! 

I know some of this sounds pretty negative, but it's not. There is something so exciting about a new school year, bonding with my students and really getting to know them. With my crazy schedule, and a lot of new changes, it's just a transition. Transitions are good. 

Happy Back to School! 

4 comments:

  1. This is my first year not being a student - I just graduated in May, and it's so so weird not getting ready to go back to school. I honestly really miss it - buying new school supplies, and getting ready for new classes with new classmates and professors. It's a hard adjustment! Plus, since I'm taking online classes for my paralegal license, I still have to worry about homework and tests and classes, so it's not like I got rid of all that extra work when I get home from my day job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This list made me so ready for fall! Oh wait our fall doesn't start until November. At least that is what I hear. Good luck this year teaching, you're going to rock it as usual! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!