Sierra's View: Life in a 6th Grade Classroom: Positive Self Talk.

BlogHer Header

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Life in a 6th Grade Classroom: Positive Self Talk.

Last week, I wrote a post about 10 Things I Like About Myself. 
It was, actually, quite inspiring for me. I had to sit down and think about the things that I truly do like about myself. Quite often, I can pinpoint all of the negative aspects of myself. I needed to remember the positive things about myself for once. And it was inspiring.

In my classroom, I have noticed this negative self talk happening with my students.
If they don't understand something, they instantly say out loud, "Gosh, I'm so stupid." Or, I can tell in their eyes and their body language that they don't believe in themselves. They instantly shut down if they don't get it right away.
If someone makes one comment to them about their looks or behavior, they instantly shut down.

I was kind of sick and tired of their negative behavior this past week. I wanted them to realize that they are incredibly capable, regardless what other kids tell them or what their brains tell them. I stood in front of them and told them my personal experience with negative self talk as a 6th and 7th grader. I told them some of my thoughts and one girl said, "That's ridiculous! You're sooooo smart!" And my instant reaction was, "Exactly! Sometimes how we see ourselves is not exactly how it is!"


So, here's what I did for a lesson on positive self talk:

1. I connected. I told them my personal experience with negative self talk as a 6th grader. And I told them my personal experience with negative self talk now. I explained that when you get into that pattern, sometimes it won't go away, even into adulthood.

2. I had them write at least five things that they liked about themselves. They could color, draw, write, words, phrases, symbols, or adjectives regarding their positive aspects. My students completely ate it up. I allowed them the freedom to do  the paper however they wanted.

My favorite part is that she changed is the correct "you're" and grammar obsession. 
Funny enough, she's my brain type ;) 

It was so fun to see, hear, and read what they wrote. I watched their process of this project. Some sat there for a good 15 minutes unable to write. It showed me who struggled with their confidence. It was incredibly beneficial for me and for my students!
Here's to positive self talk, people! 

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea!! I will have to do something like this in my classroom!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!