Sierra's View: 10 Things That I Like About Myself.

BlogHer Header

Thursday, March 6, 2014

10 Things That I Like About Myself.


When Christy started this link up, I thought to myself, "This is something that I need to do. For me." 
See, here's the thing. I have always been a confident person. I have always known who I am and what I want. I am the type of person where the phrase "what you see is what you get" kind of girl.  
But, through lots of analyzation of myself through writing, reading, researching, therapy, and thinking time, I have realized that I am not very good at validating myself. Whether this is something that was never shown through my childhood and family or my own natural self, it is something that I need work on. I am very good at validating others, but I struggle to validate myself. I am very hard on myself and tend to look at the negative. 
I am trying my best to change this. I am trying to change my self talk and reminding myself that I don't have to be perfect. That I am good enough, just the way I am; that I do not need anyone or anything to fulfill that need. 
I think it is incredibly healthy to write down the things that you like about yourself. In fact, I am doing this with my students tomorrow. I am having them do a project regarding their self confidence and respect for themselves. I am doing this because I have seen my 6th graders respect for me, as the teacher, decrease. And I can't help but notice that a part of it has to do with their lack of love and validation for themselves. 
It's hard to be kind to other people when you are not kind to yourself. 
So, I'm going to be kind to myself right now. Mostly because it's been a really difficult day and I wanted to leave at lunchtime because my students just about did me in today. 

10 Things That I Like About Myself. 

1. I like my hair. 


I have never died my hair, my color is au natural. And I know that people pay big money to have my hair color; to have their hair have the highlights that I was born with. It is the perfect thickness-not too thick or thin. I have a lot of it. And it grows like a weed. I cut 13 inches in high school and a year and a half later, it was almost all the way grown back.  It curls well, it straightens easy. In fact, I hardly ever brush my hair. And although it could look much better, it's a miracle that I can get away with it. I am grateful for my hair. 
//Tierra (that's our celebrity name)// 


2. I like that I am a hard worker. 


I was basically done with college when I was 21 and had my own classroom. When I set my mind to something, I will do anything to get it done. I am responsible, organized and hard working. In college and in my current career as a teacher. I give it my all. I like that I am educated and intelligent. 
//With my dad at graduation.//

3. I like that I am Knowledgeable and Love Basketball. 


 Being raised an Ainge, my love for basketball was sort of engrained. I am grateful that I am knowledgable about basketball. I am grateful that I can watch the sport and know what I am talking about it (maybe more than some men haha!). I love the sport so much and I love that I can keep up at sporting events. 
//At the BYU basketball game in college, back in the Jimmer days. This sign got me on interviews and ESPN. HOLLA.// 


4. I like my career as a school teacher. 


//This was when I lived in Africa, but it is related because this was the first time I ever taught a child to read. My love for children and teaching was reiterated here. //
I love my career as a teacher. I think I am good at it. I would do anything and everything for my students. And it is something that I am proud of. I love that I am changing lives every day. 


 5. I like my sense of humor. 


Guys. I'm really funny. It's a blessing and a curse, really. 
//My brother thinks I'm really funny too//

 6. I like that I am deep, introspective and sensitive. 


I used to get so frustrated with the fact that I feel things so deeply. But I have learned that this is a blessing more so than a curse in my life. I am able to feel extreme REAL empathy for others because of it. I am able to express myself in writing because of it. It drives my passion and motivation. 
//This was me daydreaming in San Francisco//


 7. I like my fair skin. 


Well, I have reached a new point, people. I have tried everything, for years to be tan. But, alas, I am not. I am as white as they get. But you know what? I am owning it. Because I have good skin. And I am grateful that I don't have to wear makeup. And I don't look like a complete villain. 
//With my friend, Caleb. Bright red lipstick, baby! So T Swift//

8. I'm extremely loyal. 


I got my peoples' back. Always. I try to be the friend that I want to have. 
 //With one of my bridesmaids and friends, Julia, feeding me…at my wedding… duhz…talk about loyalty// 


9. I like that I am fun! 



I love to play. I love to have fun! I am up for most things, especially if it's sunny outside. I like to do most things and be spontaneous. 
//hiking in Zions with T money//


10. I like that I am always willing to laugh. 


I am always willing to laugh at myself, at a situation, with my friends, family and students. I don't take life too seriously (when I'm not in a down time!). It helps the anxiety, ya know? Ha. 
//My friend photographing my UT Reception was telling me not to make funny faces while talking to people. This was me talking back and trying to make a decent face. It didn't work, Lizzy//


And that's a wrap.
Maybe I ain't that bad. 

What do you like about yourself? 
What's your favorite thing about yourself? 

8 comments:

  1. where do we go to do this link? seems fun. although i doubt i can find that many good pics of myself. LOL

    Would love for you to come join my hop @ http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/03/blog-hop-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES just yes. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! We always need to write a post like this, even if it is just for ourselves. Maybe one will be in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is so great! Its amazing to see women expressing their love for themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so encouraged by this post! Thank you for doing this link-up justice, and I am so happy you'll be doing this exercise with your students as well. You seem like a woman who is just crushing it in each station of her life, and I'm so glad you are able to recognize your giftedness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! We get so many negative energy from the world around us...it's so refreshing to see someone celebrate themselves! Kudos!

    Kelly
    www.alovelylifeindeed.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was so amazing! I also love my fair skin :) And actually get mad when people assume I should be tan lol. I love how full of life you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this.

    I so needed to see this post. Thanks. It's great to have goals and its great you're going after yours. Reach for the moon and if you miss then shoot for the stars.

    Just letting you know I'm following you on twitter, facebook, & blog lovin. Would follow you on gfc but didnt see that on your blog :( . Would love a follow back if you're not already following. Thanks. Have a great week.

    http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/03/its-final-countdown.html

    http://hotpinkowl02.blogspot.com/2014/03/blog-hop-2014.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!