Sierra's View: LDC: Changed for Good.

BlogHer Header

Sunday, May 20, 2012

LDC: Changed for Good.


*see last year's post here

Three years ago, I was sitting in Br. Lunt’s Institute class. This was a very difficult time of my life. I had just moved to Utah and it was a very difficult transition after some hard instances in Idaho.  I was overwhelmed with sadness. I was, to be honest, completely lost. When one day, he told me about this choir that I should audition for. 
At first, I completely discounted everything that he was saying. I was anti-choir. Choir people were annoying. Choir people were loud. Choir people were, well, choir people. 
But, after a couple of days of prayer and thinking, this “LDC” group kept coming up in my mind. I knew that I needed something in my life, but I wasn’t entirely sure what. Well, I came to find out that the particular something that I was looking for was this choir. 
I had the worst audition that I have ever encountered, but I made it. I'm not sure how. But I did.
The Lord knew this was something I needed in my life. I needed these people.
The first week was hard. I called my mom, crying, “Everyone is friends! I’m not as good of singer as all of these people. I’m nothing like them!” She told me to stick it out. So I did. And I am so unbelievably happy that I did. Words cannot express how grateful I am for LDC. I am a completely changed person because of this choir.
So often people hear that I am in a choir and they instantly roll their eyes. It is not like that. It was a family. It was a community. I saw, multiple times, this choir change other peoples lives. When we opened our mouths and sang, it was incredible to watch peoples' eyes light up. 
I have grown more than you can imagine. And isn't that what this life is all about? Progression.  I’m constantly amazed as to what LDC has taught me:
It has taught me the value of hard work.
            It has taught me how to build a stage.
            It has taught how to write a script.
            It has taught me even more correct ways of singing,
            It has taught me what it means to be a real quality person. 
            It has taught me the true meaning of friendship. Of forgiveness, of strength in numbers,
 and placing people in my life that I knew I could count on.
            It has taught me that good, wonderful people do exist.
            It has taught me that humor and good friends can get you through anything,
            It has taught me that music can, quite simply, save and change lives.
            It has taught me how to improve my singing ability.
            It has taught me that the Savior loves me for me for me. That he hears my every cry.
            It has taught me that this church is, without a doubt, true.

Br. Eggett's example, voice and teachings are officially stuck in my head forever. One of the most poignant nights of this past year was the Parent night on tour. All of the third years spoke and Br. Eggett spoke about each one. When he explained, "That woman has class" when talking about me, I was almost moved to tears. I was so flattered. His opinion is one that I hold very dear to my heart and it was a blessing to have him think very highly of me. 
 This choir has changed my life. I cannot tell you how many days I did not want to get out of bed and go to choir, but when I did, the words spoken, the songs sung, and the Spirit that was felt complete changed my outlook on life and the gospel. LDC, I cannot thank you for loving me despite my stupid elbows and Africa jokes. Thank you for the memories, the love, the examples, and the music. I testify, we testify, (haha!) just kidding. But seriously. My loves: Thank you for making my last hoo-rah in LDC so great. I just want you all to know how grateful I am for you. You will always have a special place in my heart. I'll miss LDC but still call me!!

As I stated in my post yesterday, I think I'm missing this experience more than I realize. I am ready to move on, to go do greater things. LDC has prepared me and it's my time to go teach, to go conquer the world, but it  is still hard because I miss it. It is so hard to not go to LDC and have a family to bring you up every single day. It's hard to not have that spiritual  boost. I am completely closing a huge chapter--the past three years of my life. LDC literally saved my life. 

Writing the script  this past year, my third year, was an experience I can never forget. When Br. Eggett chose me to do the script at the end of LDC last year, I was so incredibly flattered. However, I also felt completely, utterly incompetent to do so. I am a perfectionist. So from the beginning of this school year, the Book of Mormon had been on my mind. I wanted to portray this amazing book in a way that solidified it's goodness, appropriately catch the audience's attention, and "show off" the choir's incredible talent. Essentially, I wanted it to be perfect. With the help of two incredible men--Anthony Merrill and Br. Eggett, I felt as though I wasn't doing any of the writing. I was just thinking and they were automatically putting my thoughts into words. It just seemed to work. This show has been one of the greatest moments of my entire three years in LDC. There is something so incredible about watching a compilation of my and everyone who helped ideas come to pass. On the Saturday rehearsal before our show, I was moved to tears as I watched LDC run through “I Will Rise” and “Oh How Lovely.” I knew, at that moment, that this show was going to change lives. Why? Because it had already changed mine. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has only continued to grow from thinking, writing, praying and performing the script/show. I wanted to keep performing our show over and over and over again. I felt the Spirit so strongly every single time that we performed it. I can honestly say that I haven’t been that moved in a very, very long time. As I stated in my testimony included in the show: The Book of Mormon is real. If you open this book, read from its pages, your life will alter in ways that you can’t ever imagine. It will bring you a happiness that you didn’t know was possible. I wish I could explain to you all how grateful I am for putting on the show that I imagined. I am a different person because of this show. I am a better person because of my experience in this choir over the past three years. The Book of Mormon is true! The church is true! I love you all. Thank you for an exponentially amazing show and for giving me unbelievable memories. 


My line in the show:




Throughout the past three years in this choir: 

I was a Spice Girl in a talent show.
made a huge fool of myself (multiple times)
I sang a solo
I dealt with death of my niece and was moved by our songs. It helped me grieve. 
lost a dear friend to a car accident. 
I went on choir tours
I participated in six shows and performances--one of which was in the conference center theatre.
I had the most dramatic spring break of my life. 
I was humbled after Provo Tabernacle Choir burned down. We were the last choir to sing there.
I gave and was inspired by incredible devotionals
I had 8 million all day retreats
I played, partied, and performed with awesome people. 
I made a music video with Alex Boye
....and so so much more. 

Can ya tell this has been a huge part of my blog and my life? Haha.


Here are a few videos of me singing:





 Our music video with Alex Boye. If you haven't seen this, watch it! It's so amazing. 


I am so grateful for this gospel. I know that I am stronger because of it. I have a testimony. I want you all to know that. It’s a simple testimony, but it is immovable. I know that this church is true. I know that everything we sing and testify of is true. I love you all so much. Thank you, thank you, thank you for making me a better person. 

Other posts related to LDC:  herehere, here

PICTURES COMING SOON. 

"I swear to you, there are divine things more beautiful than words can tell." 

1 comment:

  1. isnt the lord amazing?! i love sharing testimonies among friends :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!