Sierra's View: And I Write...

BlogHer Header

Monday, January 30, 2012

And I Write...


San diego Sunset. Yes, please. 
I am one of those people who pays attention to the little mundane aspects of the world around them. Where ever I am, I am aware of what's going in nature, in myself and in other people. I have learned that I try to drink in the world around me (and the world in my head) with all of my five senses. I pay attention. I am ready. I try to keep my senses peeled because I never know when they will ring immensely.
I have recently been trying to squeeze all the junk of the world out of my head. I have been trying to clear out the mental garbage (negativity) so that I can be in the moment and breathe in the beauty of everything. Because there is beauty in everything (yea, I'm a hippie from oregon. Whats up). Even the little things. When you see the world for it's beauty, you capture images that you might otherwise ignore. 

I am currently writing a script for my choir's show this upcoming April on the Book of Mormon. I feel completely inadequate and overwhelmed, but it has allowed my writing senses to escalate.
This writing has allowed my constant need to write things down. I have learned that I absolutely, positively, most definitely love to write. I dream of writing self help books, realistic fiction books, young adult books. I hope to one day actually accomplish this dream. But I love to write because it allows those elements of a quality person, those elements of good things, of memorable things, to be written down.

Writing lets me react in the way that I want to. 
Sometimes I can't always act like a child in every day life. I can when I am writing. I can write in any behavior, thought, or way that I want to. 
I have notebooks galore in my room. Notebooks of letters from missionaries, cards from birthdays and other random occasions, handouts/lessons/talks from church, I used to collect comics (judge me) so I have those, random assortment of sweet little things to remember. I have a dream journal, a journal with ALL of my thoughts, a quote journal from books I read, a general conference journal, a church journal, a journal for the script I am writing, a password journal, a poem journal. Are you sensing a pattern yet? :)

Once in awhile I get seized by an idea for a piece of writing. In all of my watching, in all my observing (which I do very well at by the way. I should be a professional observer), I receive a revelation for a play, book, poem, blog post. And I write it down. Because if I don't, I forget it. With all the millions of thoughts rummaging through my brain, I have to write it down!

Should I even dare talk about all the lists that I possess?
What is it about lists? Seriously.
Maybe it's the need for humans to accumulate stuff; that mental celebration one gets when they can cross it off the list. (or is that just me? awkward...)

In my Language Arts Methods course (essentially, teaching children how to read), we have a "writer's notebook" which consists of many aspects of writing. I love it. Weird, I know. The assignment is to turn in aspects of writing. Oh, okay. Done. 
In this Writer's Notebook, I get the chance to include ALL of these things that I write about it. It's perfect. Lists, book ideas, words, etc.

One of the most important aspects of writing, for me, is about the memories, though.
Memories have a way of embedding themselves into your heart and never leaving. Writing allows those memories of mine (believe me, I have many) to soak in the physical surroundings around me.

So, my friends, that is why I write on here. That is why I started this blog in the first place. I realize that often people don't want to read what I have to say (let's be honest, most people probably don't), but I write because I love it. And don't get me wrong, it's not all deep and crap (yea, super deep word, huh?). But writing, for me, is therapy.
My life is a constant adventure. Boring is never a word used in my life. I don't think anyone has ever described me as such either. 
So, I write. For memories. For healing.
...but mostly because I just love to do it.
(oh, and cause I'm super funny.)

Feel free to join me. :)

p.s. Here is proof. On camera. This is me just being in la la land, probably daydreaming and observing others. Actually, probably just brain typing. (oh, I'll get to that later, don't you worry).

In Africa.
Hence the frizz & no make up. 
San Francisco. 
Just daydreaming at choir.
In my beautiful Mickey Mouse christmas sweater.
Note: This is NOT a fashion blog.
Side note: I would like to add, however, that I do have a good sense of style. I swear. I just don't have the money, time, or resources to be all trendy and show you what I wear everyday.
I would kill to be cute and trendy and have nice clothes and all that stuff every single day. 
One day. When I'm rich. From all my novels.
Okay, but I'm really leaving now. 

4 comments:

  1. Isn't writing a beautiful gift? I love writing so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, you're a beautiful writer. I wish I could write like you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so awesome and you are a great writer, I write lists too, yes the satisfaction of crossing off!! I love to write, I want to write a book, and I want to do a children's book, mixing my art with my writing, maybe these are just dreams but who knows, we'll never know if we don't try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came across your blog today and LOVE it!! This post made me so happy because I absolutely love to write too. It has always been something that has just come naturally to me. Many times I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a line or thought in my mind that I know I need to write down before I forget it so I can totally relate to feeling prompted to write. I started my blog as a way to write as well. I'd love for you to check it out: http://not-where-the-storyline-ends.blogspot.com/. Keep up the great writing!:) It's a great gift to have!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!