Sierra's View: Italy // Florence

BlogHer Header

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Italy // Florence

Italy Posts: 

Our second day, after spending the day before exploring the countryside in Tuscany area, we rode the train into Florence. I could not believe how busy Florence was, especially for the winter. I can't even imagine how insane this place gets in the summer! It was, also, so incredibly cold! The wind blows in the Duomo a large amount. It was 37 degrees outside that day, so needless to say, it was COLD! Most places that we traveled to were not busy, so it was interesting to see Florence be so busy. Below are photos (sorry, there are a lot of them!) of some things that you have to see while in Florence. 

Piazza del Duomo: Florence Cathedral and Giotto's Bell Tower.  
As you will see throughout my Italy posts, I could not get over all of the streets! I love the black and white edit of this. 

Right out of the train station in Florence! 

Our first stop was the Piazza del Duomo, specifically the Florence Cathedral. We went inside the beautiful chapel and lit a candle for my niece and nephew who were to be born soon. The ceilings of all of the chapels were some of my favorite parts of all of the buildings. Hiking up the millions of steps of the Bell Tower was probably one of my favorite parts. 






I forgot a beanie (what was I thinking?!), so I wrapped my scarf around my head. I may or may not have looked like a Babushka. Ha!  Love this shot of the cars, the street, and Nona! 






Had to take this for my dad (his name is David!). 





While in the square, I longed for all of the gorgeous clothes and purses. But, somehow, $700 Italian purses wasn't in my budget. Weird. 


I spy lots of Asians taking photos (Hahahahah) 




The doors of the Cathedral Duomo were immaculate and beautiful. 







Next, we hiked to the top of the Giotto's Bell Tower.  

In the distance, you can see a chapel-looking building. This was Santa-Croce, the burial place of Michelangelo, Machiavelli, etc. 


The 1,000 step hike up to the top of the cathedral was worth it for this gorgeous view! 






You can see the top of the Duomo from the Bell Tower. 








Galleria dell'Academia (The David) 



We headed over to the Galleria dell'Academia to see ever-famous David. It was HUGE and such an amazing site to see. 




Alessandro Allori paintings are all surrounding the David. I loved the Biblical imagery that his paintings evoked. 



Next, we walked over to local hangout square on the way to Ponte Vecchio. This square was PACKED and clearly the local teenager hangout. 






Next stop was the Palazzo Vecchio. 






The Uffizi Gallery was HUGE. It was incredibly overwhelming, but, man it was beautiful! 

As you walk along the river, you will come to Ponte Vecchio. This colorful, medieval arched bridge was to die for!





The Ponte Santa Trinity was beautiful at sunset time.  





The whole gang in Florence. 

 The most popular lock bridge is in France, but this is a little lock bridge in Florence! 

Last but not least, GELATO. Even though it was freezing, the gelato was so incredibly good. 


I didn't go into the Palazzo Pitti, the Ancient Renaissance castle but the people we were traveling with did and loved it. Next time I go to Florence, I will have to go in

If you are traveling to Florence in the winter, dress WARM. The windy streets are cooooold! It was a long, but fun day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!