Sierra's View: BOOKS IN JUNE.

BlogHer Header

Saturday, July 2, 2016

BOOKS IN JUNE.



You like my hair and outfit? Literally came from a swim party and my boobs are all blah in a swimsuit. You're welcome. 

Why Not Me?// Mindy Kaling


Genre: Autobiography 


Rating: 4/5 stars (see more on GoodReads)

Summary: 
In Why Not Me?, Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it’s falling in love at work, seeking new friendships in lonely places, attempting to be the first person in history to lose weight without any behavior modification whatsoever, or most important, believing that you have a place in Hollywood when you’re constantly reminded that no one looks like you.

My thoughts: 
We read this book for book club this month. I listened to most of this on audiobook this time simply to change things up. I know Mindy (not like personally) but I loved her in The Office and I currently watch The Mindy Project. I like her. I think she is smart, funny, and normal (as far as celebrity normalcy goes.) It was an interesting discussion this month for book discussion because my friend did not really know Mindy. This book was her first introduction to Mindy and she listened to it on audio. Let me start off by saying that Mindy's voice is annoying. I will be the first one to say that. Needless to say, my friend in book club did not enjoy this novel at all. So, with that being said, I think it's important to know that listening to this rather than reading it may change your idea of the novel and her. In my opinion, you need to be a "fan" of Mindy before reading it. 
Some thoughts regarding this novel: 

1. I love that Mindy debunks the celebrity norms--with her body, her sense of humor, and her background culture. What I enjoy about female comedians , and more specifically, Mindy, is her willingness to make fun of herself and joke about her idiosyncrasies. The chapters and essays in this book definitely reiterated that. 
2.  I LOVED when she talked about confidence in women and that this idea that young women automatically are victims and will have self confidence issues needs to stop. We automatically assume that girls will have confidence issues? Why? Because they are "fragile?" I think it is imperative, like she states (and I love that she brought this up) that we teach our daughters that they are not victims. 
3. My favorite part of the novel is when she talked about the things that keep her up at night--those were all things that I think many of us can relate to. 
4. Her short essays were funny and witty overall. 

I disliked a few of the chapters regarding her ex boyfriend (it had nothing to do with anything--and she didn't explain that relationship and the relevance to her life currently. If you are going to talk about a boy in the past, you need to explain why you are talking about him...just my thoughts.) I also though her commencement speech was annoying. 

Favorite Quote from the book: 
"Work hard, know your shirt, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine."






Me Before You/ Jojo Moyes 


Genre: Realistic Fiction 


Rating: 5/5 stars (see more on GoodReads)

Summary: 
Lou Clark knows lots of things. She knows how many footsteps there are between the bus stop and home. She knows she likes working in The Buttered Bun tea shop and she knows she might not love her boyfriend Patrick. What Lou doesn't know is she's about to lose her job or that knowing what's coming is what keeps her sane. Will Traynor knows his motorcycle accident took away his desire to live. He knows everything feels very small and rather joyless now and he knows exactly how he's going to put a stop to that. What Will doesn't know is that Lou is about to burst into his world in a riot of colour. And neither of them knows they're going to change the other for all time

My thoughts: 
(note: kind of some spoilers! Ha). 
I truly enjoyed the main character. Lou is feisty, outspoken, unique and quirky. She is willing to open herself to new possibilities and I loved that. I loved the fact that I could not put this novel down. I literally read it in one day. It's a pretty easy read, but it still pulls at your heartstrings. I learned even more about quadriplegia as well.  I am a sucker for a good romantic story. This book completely met those frivolous female needs of mine! I loved that this novel made me think. Even though I personally hated the ending, it made me think what I would do if I were in his position? Would I change my mind for the person I love? Would I want that person to have a free life without me. Even though I wanted him to change his mind, I almost feel like I would do the same thing, interestingly enough. 

Favorite Quote from the book: 
“You only get one life. It's actually your duty to live it as fully as possible.” 



Landline//Rainbow Rowell 


Genre: Realistic Fiction 


Rating: 3/5 stars (see more on GoodReads)

Summary: 
Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble; it has been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems beside the point now. Maybe that was always beside the point.Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn't expect him to pack up the kids and go home without her.When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts...Is that what she’s supposed to do? Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?

My thoughts: 
A few months ago, we read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell for book club and I loved it, so I wanted to see what else she has written. Rainbow's novels are the perfect "by-the-pool" novels. They are pretty easy reads, but not completely childish and ridiculous. She is a great summer-read novelist. With that being said, I did not love this novel (Attachments is by far her best novel!).

I don't really know what to say about this novel. It was good. It was predictable. But that's it. I liked the insightful message fighting for your marriage. Overall, pretty good. Kind of boring. That's it. Haha!

Favorite Quote from the book: 
“Nobody's lives just fit together. Fitting together is something you work at. It's something you make happen - because you love each other.” 




Eleanor and Park//Rainbow Rowell 


Genre: Realistic Fiction (Young Adult)  


Rating: 3/5 stars (see more on GoodReads)

Summary: 
Eleanor... Red hair, wrong clothes. Standing behind him until he turns his head. Lying beside him until he wakes up. Making everyone else seem drabber and flatter and never good enough...Eleanor. Park... He knows she'll love a song before he plays it for her. He laughs at her jokes before she ever gets to the punch line. There's a place on his chest, just below his throat, that makes her want to keep promises...Park. Set over the course of one school year, this is the story of two star-crossed sixteen-year-olds—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try.

My thoughts: 
Besides the insane amount of F words, this book was okay. Normally I don't mind swearing, but this was a little excessive (I would not want my young teen to read this, so it's strange that it's considered young adult). I have seen a plethora of different opinions regarding this novel. Some people have loved it and some people hated it. I was a little in between. I did not devour it like others have stated, but I did not hate it. I did not love the end of the story, but I did enjoy the "realness" of the situation. It was a heavy relationship for teenagers, but Rainbow captured the difficulty and hardships of being a teenager perfectly. 

Favorite Quote from the book: 
“I'm sorry about yesterday," she said.
He hung on to his straps and shrugged. "Yesterday happens.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!