Sierra's View: What I, Sierra, Need To Work On // Temple Challenge (Oquirrh Mtn.)

BlogHer Header

Sunday, October 4, 2015

What I, Sierra, Need To Work On // Temple Challenge (Oquirrh Mtn.)

This past weekend was LDS General Conference. Essentially, what this is, is we sit around (huzzah!) and listen to our prophets and apostles and receive guidance on how we can become closer to God. It was something that I really needed right now. This health plan is kicking my butt, I won't lie. All I want right now is a Dr. Pepper. I received the emotional support to keep going by listening to these wonderful men and women talk about, essentially, just being good people. Because, realistically, isn't that what we are all trying to be? Better people. No matter what your religion is, or if you don't have one, I think its important to try to make goals in all facets of life. I am not perfect. I do everything I can do balance my life so that I am as stable and happy in all aspects: mentally, physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually. We all know that I am working on my emotion and physical health a TON, but sometimes, I forget to notice my spiritual health guides a lot of those other aspects. When I am spiritually happy, I find that so many other parts of my life are happy as well. Whether you are religious or not, I would encourage you to find something to help de-stress and calm you spiritually: whether that be meditation, long walks in nature, prayer or going to church, whatever works for you to calm your spirit. We need to take care of our spirits!

While listening to conference this past weekend, I realized that there are some things that I need to work on, specifically spiritually. So I wanted to share with you some of those things with you.

1. Daily Scripture Study.
I love to read, but sometimes my scripture reading falls by the wayside (see what I did there?). I will fall asleep reading a novel, but I need to remember to read my scriptures every day. I need that daily guidance.

2. Love for others.
I love people. I really do. But I tend to be kind of critical of other people, whether in my ward or other members of my religion. I need to remember to love those around me, especially in the Mormon culture, because I know that EVERYONE needs love.


3. Temple Attendance
I was on a roll of temple attendance awhile ago, but I need to remember to go at least once a month and continue my temple challenge (see below).

4. Trusting in God.
This was a huge theme in conference this past weekend. I tend to rely on my own strength and stubbornness to get through, which is great, but I also need to remember the Lord's timing and that He knows what He is doing. I need to work on Trusting Him, even when things are difficult or confusing or when I have doubts.



This temple challenge post is long overdue. It has been sitting in my drafts for awhile and I have been so bombarded with teaching, my health plan, and well, real life, that I haven't gotten around to it. This past weekend was the LDS General Conference. Essentially, what this is, is the 

Here's how my Temple Challenge works: I am trying to visit (and do a session, if possible,) in as many LDS temples as I can throughout my lifetime. Ideally, I would like to visit every temple in Utah before the end of Summer 2016, which is possible, but definitely a challenge (especially now that the school year has started--because there will be 17 temples by the end of the year 2016). 



         

I got to experience this temple with my sister in law, Kimmy, and good friend, Marie. I absolutely fell in love with this temple. The Oquirrh Mountain Temple  is a newer temple, built in 2005. It is a smaller temple that sits on top of a hill that you can see from miles and miles away. It is small, but absolutely beautiful. 







Other Temples I've Visited:  Payson /Manti // Jordan River // St. George 

What are some things that you learned from General Conference?
What do you feel like you need to work on spiritually? 

2 comments:

  1. If you still would like to go to a temple together sometime, let me know! I'm ALWAYS free ;) Also, I loved the first session on conference the most. It really helped me put more faith in Christ and our church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such gorgeous pictures!! Thank you so much for your beautiful summary. Ahh conference was amazing and your goals are inspiring! I want to work on studying scriptures deeper than I do, and being more charitable.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!