Sierra's View: "I just have a lot of feelings..."

BlogHer Header

Sunday, August 12, 2012

"I just have a lot of feelings..."

10 points if you know the movie!


That's me. As a little girl.

And yes, this how I feel. RIGHT NOW. As a "big girl." 
Whoever said growing up was fun was seriously mistaken.
As I am slowly finalizing my classroom ("finalizing" probably isn't the best word--I still have a whole lot of stuff to do!), I am bombarded with a myriad of emotions. Ahhhh!!! (see above picture!) 

Every morning, with my class, I do a "one word verbal check in," which is, exactly, what the title entails: the kids describe how they are feeling in one word. This allows them to expand their vocabulary because the same word can't be repeated. So instead of "sad", they have to find another word. 
I love it because it challenges them to 1) learn to express how they are feeling out loud  2) they feel as though they are in a safe environment so they feel comfortable saying those words 3) I can check in and see how they are feeling for that day. It allows for further discussion to take place. 4) It's kinda fun! and 5) It helps develop my relationship with them. 

Yet, here I am, thinking of my "one word"to describe how I am feeling and  I find that I cant just choose one.
I now know how some of my students feel. 

Stressed.
Exhausted.
Overwhelmed.
Excited.
Nervous. 
Happy.
Lonely.
Hormonal. 
Fat. 
Creative.
Inadequate. 

Should I continue?
I literally have not stopped for about 2 weeks. And I won't until this month is over.
These innumerable feelings don't help me sleep. 
Which doesn't help.
I lay down to sleep at night and my mind is overcome with all the things that still need to be accomplished. Why does that always happen?
Yet, two nights ago, I slept for 12 hours. Yep. Told you I was tired. 
I don't want you all to think I sound like an ungrateful snot. 
I am so thankful for all these opportunities, but it does not discount all the stress that is occurring.
But it's okay. I'm just trying to take it one day at a time. 
Just bear with me, people. I may be MIA from the blogging world for a little while.
Nothing wrong with a little hiatus, eh?
xoxo. 
Have a happy, carefree, week! Ha. 


7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, SIERRA. I AM TOO. ALL OF THOSE. SO MANY EMOTIONS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MEAN GIRLS!!!! I love that movie so much :) And Sierra, of course you're stressed! I don't blame you what with school just around the corner! We'll miss you :)

    <3Hima

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the end you will be so happy with your work right? :) And more students deserve teachers like you, I remember my school teachers growing up and only a handful of them even expressed that they cared about us or our future!

    Keep up the good work and know that what you are doing is good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I 100% feel you. LIke.... SO sincerely. I'm trying to get my classroom in order and it just surprises me how much stress it occupies in my mind--never mind moving back into my apartment in Utah, lesson planning, going to a wedding during meeting week, etc etc. I feel ALL the emotions you described. Indeed.

    PS: Mean Girls?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. That quote and picture crack me up :)

    It's seriously awesome that you do that every morning with your fourth graders. Wow you just brought back to life a flicker I had once of wanting to be a teacher lol. But about the emotions: I feel you! Oh my gosh do I know where you are coming from...I am a BASKET CASE lately with trying to plan the wedding and all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, nothing wrong with a little blog break! 12 hours?? That's incredible...I need to follow your example :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mean Girls baaaaby! XD
    Hey there!
    I'm a new follower!
    I also am an obsessive movie lover & I'm studying to be a teacher!! XD
    Lovely blog :)

    Sarah xox
    whimsicalmumblings.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!