Sierra's View: Ten Books That Everyone Needs to Read.

BlogHer Header

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ten Books That Everyone Needs to Read.

My good friend, Kristen, tagged me in a post of Ten Books that Have Influenced Me on Facebook. Often, I get tagged in things like that and ignore them. Sometimes i believe that they are silly and don't affect me. But this is one that I genuinely liked. Perhaps, it's the book nerd in me that clung to this.
Rather than just posting it on Facebook, I thought that this would be a good post. Mostly because I just have a lot of thoughts on these books.
Also, instead of just books that I like, or books that I thought were good, I wanted to talk about Ten Books that have Changed Me. In my life. I think these are ten books that everyone, truly, needs to read.
I present to you, ten books that have changed me. Ten books that have influenced me. Ten books that need to be read every single one of you. Some of these are
I put these in order of my Top 10 favorites. Enjoy.




10. Something Borrowed Series-Emily Giffin.


Okay. This is such a guilty pleasure novel. I would never consider this a classic, nor the best written novel in the world. But it is SUCH a catchy novel (series) that reels you in. Ladies, you will especially love this. I hate to admit that I love this book, but it is awesome. 
“Maybe the thing to do after you roll the dice-and lose-is simply pick them up and roll them again.” 



9. Harry Potter Series- J.K. Rowling 


Enough said, really. Need I explain this? 
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. 



8. Where the Heart Is- Billie Letts

This book describes the upbeat side of tragedy that comes through at every turn. I was pleasantly left with the optimism that good will prevail. I know some people may think this book is naive and poorly written, however, I loved it. I thought it was a joy to read and emotionally satisfying along the way.
“...tell them that we have some good in us, too. And the only thing worth living for is the good. That’s why we’ve got to make sure we pass it on.” 



7. Pride and Prejudice-Jane Austen

Okay, but really. What mid-twenties woman hasn't read this book? This is a classic. Simply, a classic. That's all. 
“I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.” 



6. My Sister's Keeper-Jodi Picoult 

Okay, I may be weird, but I sort of love books that make me cry. Not because I like to cry. But because I love novels that make me feel things, that take me to a place where I truly connect and feel for the characters and the story. 
“You don't love someone because they're perfect, you love them in spite of the fact that they're not.” 




5. The Help- Kathryn Stockett.


The Help is a meaningful story of racism, humanity, and divine female rights. This book absolutely grabbed me and made me read. As my eyes sprinted over the words, I began to feel the characters’ pain and emotions. 
“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” 



4. Tuesdays with Morrie-Mitch Albom. 

The book title says it all: an old man, a young man and life's greatest lesson. This book is full of amazing lessons, quotes and learned experiences. It is a novel that every human needs to read to just learn a lesson. 
“So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” 




I wish I could explain in better words how much I love this book. It is one of the very first "dystopian society" books. I love reading it to my sixth graders and watching them analyze and take it all in. I love the theme behind this book: the idea that love and feelings are the whole purpose of this life.

“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.” 



2. To Kill a Mockingbird-Harper Lee.

When I asked my grandmother,  Meme, what her favorite book was when I was 10 years old she said this novel. When I read it in high school, I was overwhelmed with memories and nostalgia for this special lady. I am not sure if it was Meme that inspired me to read this novel or something else, but I ate this book up like nobody's business. It was one of those books in high school that you should actually read. I learned so many lessons about attitude from Scout. I learned about tolerance from Atticus. If you  have not read this classic book, you need to read it now. 

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it.” 



1. The Book of Mormon.


Aw come on, guys. You had to know that I was going to go here. My faith is a huge part of who I am. I have been going through a lot of changes with what I believe, disagreeing with parts of my culture, etc. But, when it comes down to it, this is a book that has changed me. It has brought me closer to my Savior. It has made me a better person. Seriously, what could be better than that?

Mosiah 14:5
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities; the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 

What books would you add to this list? 
What are some of your favorite novels? 

Also, don't forget to enter my birthday giveaway

4 comments:

  1. i only knew half of the books you had on the list. i really should read some more

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely adding some of these to my reading list. Wholly unpopular opinion... I hated pride and prejudice when I read it at school. I found it boring! Have you read Wuthering Heights?x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sister's Keeper turned me into a long-standing Jodi Piccoult fan. I've read all of her books, but that was the first. So good. I also love The Help and Something Borrowed (also loved that movie.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You put my all-time favorite book in there. Book of Mormon. You go glen cocoa :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!