Sierra's View: Teachers Change Lives.

BlogHer Header

Monday, April 21, 2014

Teachers Change Lives.

Teaching in Kenya

As many (well, let's be honest, MOST) of you know, I am a 6th grade teacher. I chose this career a long time ago. I have a "mantra" that I try to live by. I believe each child is important, that each child can be internally motivated and that they can work with others to succeed. I learned that in my 6th grade class. My teacher, Ms. Misner, made that known through her personal attitudes toward my fellow classmates and me that school year. I always enjoyed school, but I struggled with some particular subjects. As a kid, for example, doing math frustrated me because it didn’t come natural. Yet, because of my teacher, and her positive example of community, kindness, support, guidance, and help I received, I was able to progress. This positive influence from her and my other class members allowed me to ultimately succeed, amidst the frustration I sometimes felt. Now that I am a teacher myself, I do everything I can to try to correlate how I felt at some point so that my future students do not feel the same way that I did.

It sounds cliché and idealistic, but when my students can feel my love, concern, and support for them, I see their success flow immensely! I have learned that great teachers balance high expectations with a safe place to fall. Flexibility, pure love for the students, a positive attitude and consistency are mandatory for a successful classroom. There will be days when I do not want to be there. There are days when I do not want to get out of my car and step into my classroom, but I have to leave everything that is happening internally and externally outside of the classroom in that car and use that consistency to make it through the day.

My goal in my classroom is to be uplifting; to teach my students about internal motivation. The whole idea of having a strong community is that I want my students to act without prompting. I want teamwork and camaraderie to be who they are and how they choose to behave, not something foisted upon them by me. I want my students to feel and iterate the concepts of confidence, enjoyment, enthusiasm, and value so that the students feel worthwhile. I want them to realize that school can be fun and rewarding.

Now, I don't know how much I do affect my students, to be honest. Some days I feel much more affective than others, but I am hoping that they will at least leave my classroom as better people and students.

Like me, there are numerous amount of teachers out in the world who ar appositively affecting students' lives everyday; who are doing things very similar to me as teachers in the classroom. I, personally, have many friends who are wonderful teachers and I am inspired by their efforts, energy and enthusiasm every single day. I am lucky to teach in quite an affluent area, where parents are pretty involved and are able to help out financially for their students and our classroom regarding school supplies, field trips. Other teachers and other schools are not as lucky.

Being a teacher, I think people often forget what teachers do for their own classrooms. Did you know that teachers spend money every year out of their own pocket, especially in underfunded areas? I do it probably every month. And I don't know if you remember this, but teachers don't get paid that much ;). Teachers are all around us doing innovative things in their classrooms and just need that extra help in order to teach in their classroom.

Here's where you come in. 
Adopt-A-Classroom is a nonprofit organization that helps connect donors with teachers to enhance the learning environment for students. Office Depot and Adopt-A-Classroom have partnered to raise awareness about teachers and all that they do in the lives of their students. You can help donate to this organization by clicking here. 

Below is a video of a woman named Cassie Cox, who is a teacher at an alternative high school in Ogden, Utah. This is the last stop for students before dropping out. Cassie is a former drop out who went on to earn her Masters Degree, and wants the same for her students. She gives them a second chance, and a new way to look at learning. Watching this video below reminded me of all the hard work that teachers do around this state and country--and it's crazy to think that this is right here, in Utah, in my own state, only an hour away. Take a minute to watch this video. 



How grateful I am for teachers who are inspiring these kids all over! Again, for more info on this fantastic program on Teachers Changing Lives, click here.



I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.

1 comment:

  1. Love this. I am an 8th grade ELA teacher. I get this. Teachers do change lives. And our kids change ours. Aren't we blessed?!

    Kelly
    www.alovelylifeindeed.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!