Sierra's View: The Lord's Mouthpiece.

BlogHer Header

Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Lord's Mouthpiece.

This weekend has been one of the most inspiring, amazing, and relaxing ones in a very long time. 

You see, every 6 months, my church, the LDS church ("the mormons") and yes the LDS people and Mormon people are the same. It is amazing how many people are under the impression that we are different religions. There was a recent study that come out on some of the most misunderstood religions. Number 3 was the the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" and number five were the "Mormons." I laughed out loud as I read this, and sort of felt a little bit of anger as how confused people really are. 
*sorry, thought that tangent was worth it.  

Anyway, semi-annually, we have "General Conference", where every member of our church throughout the entire world gathers together and watches our leaders, the prophets and apostles, speak to us.  Some of us like to call "church in our pj's" because we make delicious breakfast, lay in bed, and listen to the very special and spiritual talks. (except I got to attend GC in Salt Lake Saturday morning and it was great!). 
It is one of my favorite weekends of the year. I get incredibly spiritually fed and physically rejuvenated. I get the weekend to just relax (which is basically a teacher's dream on the weekend). 

To be quite frank, I have really struggled with the Church recently. I am really struggling with my new ward (that's what we call our congregation, where everyone meets together). I feel like my ward is not very friendly and it's incredibly clique-ish. And, it doesn't help that I have been doubting a lot of things regarding the church. The past month, my depression has re-appeared in my life quite consistently, which really tests my testimony and the presence of God. The signs of my depression have reoccured (as they have since I was 14) and it has disabled me to function, to be quite honest. It's a huge transition point of my life and I am trying to just hold on. 

And this weekend, I truly felt like the Lord answered so many prayers of mine. I have been pleading with the Lord to give me some strength, to start to feel better, to receive some guidance on dealing with all of this...again. 
And then,
Elder Holland, an apostles of Jesus Christ,  got up and spoke specifically on the topic of depression. Never, in the history of General Conference, has an apostle outwardly spoken SPECIFICALLY on this issue, for an entire talk. When Jeffrey R. Holland began speaking, I found my heart immediately soften. I found my eyes starting to water and I felt like he was speaking just to me (even though he wasn't, obviously). I have always had spiritual experiences throughout my years of General Conference, but I feel like for the first time I felt a specific prayer answered. He was the Lord's mouthpiece for me. And it was perfect. 

I don't care what religion, race, or gender you are. Everyone needs to take a few minutes to watch this talk. It is incredible. 
Just copy and paste the link and enjoy. 
You will not regret it, I promise. 
This is a real issue in our day and it is important that everyone hears something this inspiring message regarding mental illness. 

Click HERE to watch! 

**There were sooo many other wonderful talks this weekend. If you are interested, click on this link and you can watch any of the talks from this weekend. 
Some of my favorites were: 

xoxo.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you were able to get such great inspiration from conference!!! :) And I definitely understand what you mean about new wards.... SO difficult to get in and feel included... We've been here two months and I'm still struggling with it...

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!