Sierra's View: Bikram Yoga

BlogHer Header

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Bikram Yoga


Recently, I have been doing Bikram Yoga about five times a week and I honestly cannot tell you the positive affect that it has had on me. I am not talking about just physically, but also mentally and emotionally. Bikram Yoga is yoga in a sauna. Sound intense? It is. It is so incredibly difficult and it pushes me past my limit. But, it is also is low impact which is something that I love. See, I hate running. Hate it. Running has always hurt my body just as much as it has helped it. I grew up playing sports: volleyball, basketball, lacrosse, softball, tennis, soccer, dance, etc. You name it--I pretty much played it. I was by no means a professional at any of them, but I loved sports. They were (still are) a big a part of my life. But I never played them because I loved to run. I played them because I loved the sport itself. I was running to play the sport, not playing the sport to run. So, when my future sister in law, Kim, introduced me to Bikram Yoga I was ecstatic. It sounded very difficult (which I like when it comes to exercise) but also calming and healing. I have already lost a couple of pounds (the average woman loses 800-,1000 calories a class), I am more flexible (I can touch my toes! I could never do that) and it has helped me with my anxiety and negative feelings during this stressful time of wedding planning. I love the way I feel after class. Some days are better than others, just like everything in life, but I am so excited to become better and stretch myself (no pun intended) to a more healthy, fit self!!

9 comments:

  1. Where do you do this yoga? Is it expensive?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome!! Sounds perfect for a stressed bride to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I love yoga, but I've never tried Bikram. I love the jelly-all-over feeling. I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished my yoga for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never tried this style of yoga but have heard wonderful things about it. New bloglovin follower from the Aloha hop, thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love yoga! I need to start doing it again. Never tried bikram but have many friends who do ( and love it!). I'm thinking of giving DDP yoga a go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been doing yoga as part of my workouts lately, just not bikram, I have done that in the past, but I had a rather negative experience, so I haven't done it again! I love Zumba too, have you ever tried that? Love it! I love the benefits of yoga though, less back pain, more flexibility!
    Following you on bloglovin and Facebook!
    Have a great day,
    Kaara
    http://inthekitchwithkaara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so awesome girly!!! It was SOOO fun seeing you last week, you are adorable!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!