Sierra's View: 11 Years Ago, Today...

BlogHer Header

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 Years Ago, Today...

10 Year Anniversary Post here


I know that everyone and their dog or *blog* (haha) will write about this significant day, but I felt like I needed to add my two cents. 

It is hard to imagine that my 4th grade babies weren't even born when 9/11 happened 11 years ago. Today, we watched this kid friendly video about this day:


Nick News: "What Happened? The Story of September 11, 2001"
Get More: Nick News Episodes,Nick News,Nick News Games

Afterwards, my students wrote a letter to a soldier, firefighter, or police officer that risked their lives for us on this day. It was very interesting and special to hear their thoughts, opinions (that were probably told to them by their parents, I'm sure) and input. 

It was actually really awesome. I got to hear their perspective on this "historical event" that they did not even experience or be alive for. As we were watching the video, I had to try everything in my power to not lose it right there.  
I have learned something: watching those clips, hearing those stories, and revisiting this day....
 never gets easier
It still makes a little emotional today.


September 11, 2001. A day we will never forget.

"The attacks of September 11th were intended to break our spirit. Instead we have emerged stronger and more unified. We feel renewed devotion to the principles of political, economic and religious freedom, the rule of law and respect for human life. We are more determined than ever to live our lives in freedom."

~Rudi Giuliani


5 comments:

  1. This makes me so sad that there are even high schoolers that weren't old enough to remember this day. It also makes me feel this about those who were around for Pearl Harbor and I don't even know anyone who was alive for that event. One day that will be us, telling our grandchildren about how we watched the towers fall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is WONDERFUL how you talked to them about such a monumental day in our history!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that you shared it with the kids!

    How was your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is so weird that your students weren't alive! I feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is super neat you were able to share it with your students! Your blog is adorable, I am a new follower and I am excited to read more! come follow along http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!