Sierra's View: It's Okay.

BlogHer Header

Monday, September 19, 2011

It's Okay.

I was doing my daily 3-4 mile walk/run (okay so maybe only 4 times a week...but you get the point) and it was just perfect for some reason.
It was 68-70 degrees and sunny.
An ideal temperature, in my opinion.
Everyone was out and about getting ready for the BYU/Utah football game (I don't want to talk about it).
Kids were playing in the streets, pre teen boys were mowing the lawn (that's some good parenting!), college students were driving by with loud music and BYU signs, adults were getting their BBQ's heated up.
I walked past many fields and I was instantly hit with a wave of nostalgia. That smell of a soccer field brings back so many memories. Lacrosse games, soccer games as a child, football games in high school. That distinct smell of fresh mowed grass, the sun beaming down...it was just fantastic. I can sense Fall coming.
And I actually kind of like that feeling.
Warm sweaters. Apple Cider. Corn Mazes. Cuddling in blankets. I can most definitely wait for winter--but I thoroughly enjoy Fall.

I passed a particular house that I walk by every day. (I'll take a picture of it one of these days). If I am forced to live in Provo, Utah for the rest of my life (I sure hope I'm not) I WILL move into that house. I have seen many houses like it before. In fact, I have seen similar houses with far better scenery, location, and city. But for some unimaginable reason, I am drawn towards it.
Maybe it's because whenever I pass it, I am reminded of all the enlightened thinking that has occurred on these enjoyable work outs.

As I am recalling all of this, I can't help but reminisce. I'm such a dreamer, I know. But as I was looking around and past my ideal house, I realized something.
That things really aren't that bad, even when we think they are.

It's frustrating to deal with emotions that range on a daily basis.
There, I said it.

I am one of the most social people I know.
And yet, there are days when I want to hibernate in a hole.
Half of me wants to go out and socialize--be the light of the party.
And the other half wants to not talk to anybody for days. It's a total catch 22.
My head and heart are completely caught off guard.
But, on those days (or weeks) when things seem to slowly dissipate into a deep crevice of destruction, I have been reminding myself something...that it really is okay.
It's all going to be okay.

I think we all need to remind ourselves that sometimes.
That things really will be just fine.
Most of the time, the best way to ultimately receive happiness, is to MAKE happiness. In order to make happiness, we need to be proactive. This includes positive thinking, priorities put in order, and most commonly, putting a smile on your face even when you don't feel like it.
Life is not always going to be peachy.
There will be days when it seems quite grim, actually.
But we (I) need to remind myself:
It's going to be okay. I'm going to be okay.
Why?
Because lightning never strikes in the same place twice.

P.S. My dear friend, Erin sent me this text seconds ago: "You're beautiful. I don't know why sadness just comes sometimes. But you are becoming something very special because of it."
Perfect, huh? Just what I needed.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sierra! Thanks for commenting on my blog! And I like this post. I needed to remind myself today that things would be just fine :).

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!