Sierra's View: Festival of Colors!

BlogHer Header

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Festival of Colors!

Every year in March, the Hindu Temple in Spanish Fork (how random?) throws a chalk-throwing ritual called the FESTIVAL OF COLORS.
Let me explain.
The Hindu people have a story where an evil witch used to bring little babies into the fire with her and burn them. Because she was immune to fire...she didn't burn. Years later, the Hindu people are seeking revenge on her and inviting every.single.person. in Utah to join. Naturally.

The whole ordeal: Everyone has mashed up pieces of chalk (looks like colored meth...awesome) and throw it all up at once. The chalk is supposed to represent the ashes of the witch burning.
..That explanation doesn't really make the Color Festival sound much better? Eh screw it. It was weird. But honestly, top 5 favorite things I've done since I've been in college.

Creepiest part of it all: There are THOUSANDS of people there throwing chalk, therefore making a giant chalk cloud. I felt like I was going to die because I couldn't breathe (see first picture below)
I especially loved it when people threw chalk right at my face. That was enjoyable.

But hey, it was colorful?

Funniest part about the whole ordeal was this: This was a Hindu Celebration. 90% of the people there: MORMONS.

Be jealous of these pictures.

The Cloud.

With the Cal.

Before.

After.

Best part of the whole thing: The amazing dance party after. HARE KRISHNA.
I clearly am feeling the hindu music.

The looooong walk back to the car.

Just all cute after the choke fest. I mean chalk fest.

This was after being there for TWO minutes. People just smear the chalk on you. I felt like such a hippie. It was like being in Oregon again.

The gang.

Maybe a 1/4 of the people there.
Damn Mormons. We bombard everything.
(Side note: Look how straight I am sitting. That posture deal my dad used to lecture me about totally is workin! And my naturally highlighted hair....beautiful. Do I sound conceited yet?)

COLORS!!!!
I'm special.

Can't wait for next year :)

1 comment:

Leave some love!