Sierra's View: From a 4th Grade Teacher...

BlogHer Header

Sunday, December 16, 2012

From a 4th Grade Teacher...

I had to run to the post office at lunch on Friday. I got into my car and was listening to the radio when I heard about the Sandy Hook Elementary Shooting. Words cannot describe how I was feeling as I walked into the faculty lounge and we, as teachers, were reading about this heinous crime. I found myself getting teary eyed and as we continued talking about this awful incident. 

As I walked back into my classroom after lunch, I looked at each of my 4th graders individually. I noticed them. For their strengths, for their unique personalities, for their innocence--for everything they were. As I watched my students and their innocent oblivion to the awful incident in CT in class today, I teared up a little bit. I cannot fathom anyone hurting those children. Those students of mine are like my babies. I spend every single day with them. For some of them, I spend more time with them in a day than their parents. Yes, they frustrate me at times, but I would do ANYTHING to protect them.  

On Friday, I hugged my students a little tighter than usual. They were all a little confused. Haha. 

I am sort of at a loss for words when it comes to this whole thing. 
I don't have the perfect elegant phrases. 
I don't know how I feel about the whole gun control issue. 
I am torn between constantly wanting to stop listening to the news, but cannot turn away at the same time. 
I feel so much frustration and agony towards the gunman and his mother. (What did she do to help him through his personality disorder and his episodes?)
I don't know what would help keep our schools safe. (Would a security system at every school even help? What about a security guard?) 
I feel for those parents of those little children.
I feel for those students who now, have to live through PTSD when it comes to school. 

I am a simple human being. And I don't have the right words right now. I wish I did, but I do not. 
I just know this: 
I am a 4th grade teacher and I love my students more than anything, even on the more difficult days. Teachers, throughout this country, are heroes. And those teachers, specifically, at Sandy Hook are heroes in our day. 
Those children are in a much better place. 

Unfortunately, because of this tragedy, it has, at least, made me realize how grateful I am for my students. My thoughts and prayers go out to those parents, students, and teachers who will be FOREVER affected by this. 

THIS was a good read. 
I appreciate Obama's sincerity in this video. No matter who you are, this is how each of us have responded to this tragedy; as humans. 

And this picture, somehow, brings comfort to me. 

"The Lord takes many away even in infancy, that they may escape the envy of man, and the sorrows and evils of this present world; they were too pure, too lovely, to live on earth; therefore, if rightly considered, instead of mourning we have reason to rejoice as they are delivered from evil, and we shall soon have them again."
JOSEPH SMITH

3 comments:

  1. beautiful post. america needs to tighten its gun laws!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me tear up! Even though I'm not particularly religious, that picture also gives me comfort. A girl at my college also passed away that day, only one day away from graduating. A few people said that they thought God was bringing her to Heaven to take care of those young lives. That definitely made me cry.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!