Sierra's View: Hiking Series is Back// Y Mountain Hike.

BlogHer Header

Friday, April 8, 2016

Hiking Series is Back// Y Mountain Hike.

Spring is here!!! Which means, people, that, HIKING FOR CARDIO has returned! I told you all that I was going to bring my hiking series back and I like to keep my promises, so here we go! I love going to the gym (yea, I can't believe I just said that...). I love to do all of my weight training with dear friends (it's so much more fun to workout with friends!), but I love to do my cardio outside sometimes. Now that the weather is starting to get nice, I am excited to grab #saylorthepup and get outdoors more. I have been hiking this whole week since it's my spring break and I am starting to see a little tan (er, burn) on my face. Huzzah. 

Yesterday, in the middle of the day, since I don't have to teach (thank you, spring break! I cannot believe how much I can get done in a day when I don't have to work. Working really cramps my to-do list, ya know?) I grabbed my dog and hiked the Y. I have been having a really tough time with "feeling loved" and needed a "Self-love" day. I slept in, read my book in my backyard, and took this hike. It was a much needed day (more on this later...). On the mountains here in Utah, by BYU Provo campus, there is a big Y painted on it. It is a mile and a half of switchbacks all the way up (inclines from 5,000 to 6500 feet, in case you were wondering), but it feels more like ten miles. Okay, the last time I did this hike was when I was 19 and a little bit more in shape, I get that, but HOLY CRAP. I was dying. Seriously, I thought I was going to die. If you follow me on Snapchat (@sierrasview), you can see the photos of me complaining. Ha. I don't think that it helped that it was the middle of the day on a hot, spring day. I learned my lesson there. If I do this again, it will be in the morning or the evening. If I decide I want to die anytime soon, that is. You know it's bad when your dog lays down in the middle of the path and just stares at you. And if any of you know Saylor, you know that it is not like her. I swear, no matter how many times you do this hike, it kicks your butt. 

So, lessons learned while hiking the Y mountain. 
1. Bring 10 water bottles. No, really. I brought two and still died. 
2. Take breaks. Stop at some of the switchbacks! Your calves will thank you. 
3. Wear sun screen. If you are stupid enough to go in the middle of a hot day like I did. 
4. Speaking of which, don't go in the middle of the day. Go in the morning or in the evening at sunset. 
5. Don't take your all-black dog on a path that has literally no shade whatsoever. She will hate you. 
6. Ignore those bitches who are running up the hill to the Y THE ENTIRE WAY.  (You think I'm kidding. That really did a wonder on my self esteem as people WERE RUNNING UP IT WHILE I WAS DYING! In my dreams. One day.) 
7. Enjoy yourself. Once I got up to the Y, I listened to some General Conference talks, sat and enjoyed the view, and reminded myself that I made it up to the top and I am strong and the Lord loves me. 


see instagram for more photos

Before I begin with these lovely photos, I would just like to show you that I killed it yesterday (my health, not anything or anyone)So, you should all be proud (for both reasons). 




On the top of the Y while Saylor hides behind me for shade. Poor dog. Poor human. 

Woah. High up. Nice, clean sky Utah has sometimes ;) 



When you realize that you came to the bottom of the Y and you have to get back up and go to the top because you're stubborn. 

Still not wanting to move.... 

And then you realize that it was pointless to go up three more switchbacks for the top of the Y. Ugh. 

But, still, cool view. Look how high I got, guys (pun intended). 




Have you ever hiked this? 
What is your favorite hike you have been on? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!