Sierra's View: Rising Strong // Sierra's Book Reviews

BlogHer Header

Friday, March 25, 2016

Rising Strong // Sierra's Book Reviews

via instagram 
Love this page from this book!!! 


Genre: Self Help/ Nonfiction 

Rating: 5/5 stars (see more on GoodReads)
Summary: The physics of vulnerability is simple: If we are brave enough often enough, we will fall. Brene tells us what it takes to get back up, and how owning our stories of disappointment, failure, and heartbreak gives us the power to write a daring new ending. Struggle, Brené Brown writes, can be our greatest call to courage, and rising strong our clearest path to deeper meaning, wisdom, and hope.



I LOVE Brene Brown. She is one of my favorite researchers and writers. I was listening to a part of this book (I tend to listen and read a book at the same time. Does anyone else do this?) with T and he kept saying, "Uhhh...she sounds exactly like you. I feel like she thinks like you!" My response was a resounding YES, I KNOW! I feel like she "gets me" and I absolutely love her research. I think I want her job. Like I stated a couple of weeks ago for my review of  Daring Greatly, to this day, my favorite novel of hers is The Gifts of Imperfection (How have I not written about this book on my blog? On my to-do list!). , Rising Strong was my second favorite. I loved that Brene used her own life stories and examples in this novel to help get through the challenging life experiences that may get you down. I don't have much to say, other than this book is a great one. It helped changed my way of thinking when it comes to difficult times.  I would even recommend listening to it! 


Favorite Quotes 
*I tweeted this book like crazy because it had so many fantastic quotes. 

+We only judge others when don't feel good about ourselves. 

+The most compassionate people have the strongest boundaries. 

+Just because someone else doesn't see your value, doesn't mean you don't have worth. 

+Give yourself permission to feel your emotions. 

+Hurt doesn't go away simply because we don't acknowledge it. 

+Rising Strong after a trial MUST be a spiritual experience. 

+Compassionate people ask for what they need. They say no when they need to, and when they say yes, they mean it. They're compassionate because their boundaries keep them out of resentment.

+The opposite of recognizing that we’re feeling something is denying our emotions. The opposite of being curious is disengaging. When we deny our stories and disengage from tough emotions, they don’t go away; instead, they own us, they define us. Our job is not to deny the story, but to defy the ending—to rise strong, recognize our story, and rumble with the truth until we get to a place where we think, Yes. This is what happened. This is my truth. And I will choose how this story ends.

+Vulnerability is not winning or losing; it’s having the courage to show up and be seen when we have no control over the outcome. Vulnerability is not weakness; it’s our greatest measure of courage.

+There are too many people today who instead of feeling hurt are acting out their hurt; instead of acknowledging pain, they’re inflicting pain on others. Rather than risking feeling disappointed, they’re choosing to live disappointed. Emotional stoicism is not badassery. Blustery posturing is not badassery. Swagger is not badassery. Perfection is about the furthest thing in the world from badassery.

+...sometimes when we are beating ourselves up, we need to stop and say to that harassing voice inside, "Man, I'm doing the very best I can right now.

+I don’t know. I really don’t. All I know is that my life is better when I assume that people are doing their best. It keeps me out of judgment and lets me focus on what is, and not what should or could be.” His answer felt like truth to me. Not an easy truth, but truth.

+I want to be in the arena. I want to be brave with my life.

+It’s always helpful to remember that when perfectionism is driving, shame is riding shotgun.

+How can we expect people to put value on our work when we don't value ourselves enough to set and hold uncomfortable boundaries?

+Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing we’ll ever do.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!