Sierra's View: Hakuna Matata // Maui

BlogHer Header

Monday, April 20, 2015

Hakuna Matata // Maui


I can't stop thinking about Maui.
It was such an amazing vacation. I have been to Hawaii a few times before, but I have never been as completely relaxed then I was this particular time. I think it has something to do with the fact that I was in dire need of Spring Break. I was tired, grumpy and needed a break. And that is exactly what I got.
It was Tanner's first time to Hawaii and I was so excited to be there with him and show him Maui. I will tell you some of my favorite places to eat and fun things to do in later posts. I have 350 photos from our trip to Maui. This may seem like an excessive amount, except that I originally had 700. So, really, you should be proud. I will do a few posts to update you all on my travels to the finest degree :) We stayed in Kihei, Maui where my parents have a beautiful condo. It was the first time my entire family had been together since last summer. I was a little anxious that it was going to be a disaster, but it honestly was so relaxing and everyone had quite a great trip.




Being home, however, has been hard. I have had a hard time diving back into teaching. I am exhausted and just want to play. I am stuck in the Hawaiian mentality, a Hakuna Matata state of mind, if you will. I don't have the next day of school planned? Oh well. It'll be fine. Oh, I need to go to the grocery store? Eh, we can just have pizza tonight. I like to think I'm a pretty "on top" of it kind of person. But, since I have been home, it has been a "whatever" mode.

And although I know that I cannot stay in this type of mode forever, it has been a little bit of a "lightbulb experience" for me. Sometimes (a lot of the time), I feel like I have to be perfect. I have to have the perfect classroom, I need to be the perfect teacher, and I need to look perfect. I need to have the cutest clothes, I need to be the nicest person, and I have to be the perfect Mormon. It's amazing to me the constant struggle I am internally feeling; it seems as though its a constant inner battle. And one of the hardest parts about that is the fact that I don't vocalize it a lot. I don't like to talk about how I am feeling to people. It takes a lot for me to be completely open with people; so I think a lot of people assume that life is fine and dandy. And do not get me wrong, my life really is SO fine and dandy. I am convinced I am one of the luckiest people on the planet. Tanner and I just bought our first home (yeee! More on the later, too!), I am happily married, I love my job, I get to go on all of these fabulous trips (local and otherwise). I am so happy. But, the more I talk to people, the more I realize: You truly do not know what people are going through. Their outside is so different than what they are feeling on the inside. 


And yet, it's amazing what a vacation to my favorite place in the world (Second favorite is my family's cabin on Crescent Lake, Oregon) can do. Something about Hawaii made me slow down, be grateful for what I have, and to not stress about the silly things regarding life. Recently, I have been totally fine with who I am. I am fine with not wearing makeup. I am fine if I choose to wear makeup. I am fine with it all. I am HAPPY with it all. I am so content. What is the point of doing things all in a  hurry? Things WILL get done, so what is the point of being anxious about it? I have taken my time. I have slowed down. I have rolled down my windows and let the wind blow in my hair. The next few weeks of my life with the end of school, moving, etc. are going to be very hectic. But that's okay. Because they are all GOOD things. It will be busy, yes, but I also know that it will all work out.

 Because, people, it's all going to be all right. I promise. It always is going to be okay eventually. Hakuna Matata. It means no worries. I think we all need to remember to take a deep breath, take a walk, and take in the beauty that our life consists of.   

Plus, it helps that I'm really tan. :)

Yet, something else happened in Hawaii. It  sort of  made me want to say Hakuna Matata to ALL parts of my life…including teaching. Is it the end of the year yet? :) 

With that, today, I want to show you some of the amazing sights I saw while on this trip. One of these days I will make a video and I cannot wait to show you. Until then, enjoy these photos from my camera and instagram.  


















Don't these pictures just make you want to go RIGHT NOW? Ugh, take me back. 

Look for next Hawaii post coming soon!
Have you ever been to Maui? What island? 
Do you ever find that you need to stop and slow down? What do you do to "chill out?" 


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! Glad to hear you had such a relaxing trip and can't wait to read more about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous trip and pictures! And girl, I completely agree with you. A lot of times, I want to be perfect and do everything right, but I can't because I'm HUMAN, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are so gorgeous. I've never been to Hawaii but it's on my list. My mother is working on convincing me to go on a Hawaiian cruise.

    Often times when I need a vacation I go visit friends in North Carolina (I'm in Alabama). It's such a rejuvenating time since I don't get to see them as much as I'd like. Last summer we went to Carolina Beach and I'm currently planning a similar trip for July. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some love!