Sierra's View: Lessons Learned in 2016.

BlogHer Header

Monday, January 9, 2017

Lessons Learned in 2016.



Before I begin, here are my Christmas/New Years posts over the past couple of weeks. I actually blogged. Thank you, winter break!

Merry Christmas (Card) 2016
Christmas Break 2016
Not-So-Great New Years Resolutions
My Word for 2017

I loved writing about what lessons I learned in 2015.  2016 was a rollercoaster year for me. I loved looking over my top posts and top Instagram moments last week. T and I had some great adventures, vacations, and memories. We have so much to be grateful for: wonderful friends, family, an adorable home, great jobs, and good health. With that being said, I was sick a lot over the course of the year. I felt a little stuck in my life and felt like I was at a crossroads, which is never fun. I had to learn to be happy in this moment of our lives, which can be challenging. I am so grateful for a life where I can learn new things (easy to say that now, huh?! Ha!).

Note: When I say "you" it is a generic you--meaning you, me, or you as a whole. 

Let yourself have FOMO. Being an Ainge, I was predisposed for what we call "FOMO--Fear Of Missing Out." I HATE feeling like I am being left out of things. Even when I don't necessarily want to go out or be somewhere, I feel obligated to because I don't want to be left out of things. I learned, real quickly in 2016, that it's okay to say no to certain things. It is okay to not be involved in every social aspect. It is okay to not be invited to everything. It is okay for people to do things without me; it's not personal.

Forgive. Because I am a "feeler", I tend to get my feelings hurt quite easily. This does not mean that I am weak or am always feeling sad. But because I feel things so deeply, I tend to overanalyze a situation (overanalyze? What? I never do this) or a person. I have learned that I cannot react emotionally when in an argument, disagreement, or fight with others. It is so important to forgive, even when the other person didn't even apologize. This is something I am still working on.

The gym can be so fun. I have seriously fallen in love with exercising and the gym! (I know!!!). I love the way I feel about myself, others and life when I exercise. I used to hate the gym, but now that I know how to use machines and know what to do, it is something that has helped my confidence and attitude! The key is to find workouts that work for your body and things that you enjoy doing!

Go to sleep when you are angry! Whoever said the advice to "not go to bed angry" was, I'm just going to say it, STUPID. Usually when I am angry at my husband (What? We never fight. I don't know what you're talking about ;), or after a long day teaching, or I'm hormonal...whatever it is. Usually, I just need sleep!!! T will look at me and say, "Just go to bed." And I do. Sometimes all you need is a good night's sleep!

No one cares as much as you think they do. That sounds harsh, but I don't think it means you may think. What I mean is that your peers, your neighbors, your friends, your family, your ward members, your coworkers...they are not paying attention to you as much as you think they are!!! So all of those insecurities that you are harboring, all of that comparing that you are doing..stop! People are worried about their families and their own lives, as they should be. Let your insecurities and comparison go, because I promise you, everyone else is either a) feeling the same way or b) just focusing on their own lives!

Travel. It seriously makes you love your life so much more. I have learned more about life traveling and teaching than anything else in my life. Go on adventures, go on road trips, do random spontaneous things--even if they are just local trips. It feels so good.

Teachers make crap money and I'm tired of it. That's all I really have to say about that. It's not right. Teachers deserve more. And I will fight this until the day I die! Haha.

The Savior loves you!!!!!! He loves me. He loves you. He is aware of you. I promise. I have to re-learn this every year. Apparently He wants me to know this.

What lessons did you learn in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love!